Friday, November 03, 2006

'Iraq is not a direct reflection on me'

Republican Rep. Deborah Pryce is hoping that we will all get amnesia before election day. Pryce hopes that we will forget that she said the following about the war in Iraq (Link):

On June 28, 2005, three years after the war started, Rep. Deborah Pryce told the Columbus Dispatch that "Iraq is now a beacon of freedom."
On October 24, 2003, Rep. Deborah Pryce said "I didn't see any chaos" in Iraq.

And, of course, who can forget those disastrous cuts that Pryce and the GOP made to benefits for our troops?

According to CNN:
Deborah Pryce distanced herself Thursday from the Iraq war, telling CNN Radio, "What's happening in Iraq is not a direct reflection on me."

...Pryce made the remark Tuesday in an interview at a Columbus, Ohio, factory. When pressed by CNN on whether her position as a House leader connected her to the volatile situation in Iraq, Pryce objected to the interruption of her remarks and said the interview was over....

"Thanks, I'm done," Pryce said. She expressed frustration and walked away saying, "Maybe we'll call you later when I'm feeling better."

In a statement issued to CNN later, Pryce finished her response, writing, "What's happening in Iraq is not a direct reflection on me."

"I voted to give the president the authority to use force in Iraq; that doesn't mean I'm always happy with what I see, but I can think of nothing worse for our troops or our prospects for success than having 435 members of Congress second-guessing our commanders," Pryce wrote....

"...Not a direct reflection on me.....?????"

Pryce voted for the war. Pryce has been a cheerleader for the administration's policies for the war. Pryce voted to cut medical benefits to our troops. Pryce voted to cut raises and bonuses for the troops. Pryce supports continuing the war until Bush pushes it off to the next President. Pryce and the Republicans are directly responsible for the mess in Iraq. They refused to have bills come to the floor that would involve oversight, or investigations of impropriety.

Here is my advice: If you want to continue the war in Iraq, continue the American bloodshed, continue the financial hardship the war has created for families and this country, vote for Pryce.

However, if you want to change course, VOTE FOR KILROY.