Saturday, March 17, 2007

McCain

>I tried posting this last night but Blogger had other ideas and wouldn't let me post anything-----
ABC News/AP:
Republican presidential contender John McCain on Friday used the term "tar baby," considered by some a racial epithet, and later said he regretted it.

Answering questions at a town hall meeting, the Arizona senator was discussing federal involvement in custody cases when he said, "For me to stand here and ... say I'm going to declare divorces invalid because of someone who feels they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a tar baby of enormous proportions and I don't know how you get out of that."

After the event, McCain told reporters: "I don't think I should have used that word and I was wrong to do so."

---Does he just think it or know it? Why do these people use that word? How is it that the writer for the AP story says that the word is "considered by some a racial epithet" when it IS a racial epithet! How can people just let it go? Why does McCain even have that word in his vocabulary? Have you ever used that word? I never have. This type of language is disgusting.

>>My second point about McCain is something else that he said, but this time it was about condoms.
From Americablog:
McCain was stumped by a very simple question -- a question that can be answered with a modicum of research. He was stumped by a question that can mean the difference between life and death. He was stumped by a question that every responsible adult in American should know the answer to. He doesn't know if condoms can help stop the spread of HIV. Seriously:

Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”

Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”


----Seriously, folks, is McCain that much out of the loop? McCain has never even thought about, read, or discussed how to deal with the spread of HIV? Incredible! This man wants to be the President of the U.S. and he doesn't know about the most critical health disaster around the world? Would you vote for a man who uses disgusting racial epithets and doesn't know how to prevent the spread of HIV? I would not.

McCain and his "straight talk express" bus can't talk straight about anything. McCain, who is considered a moderate by some, is actually very far right. McCain is against a woman's right to choose. We need some reporter following the "straight talk express" to ask McCain's views on "Choice." I think an entire new can of worms will be opened.