Monday, November 15, 2010

Is Kasich a Little Thin-Skinned?

After spending many, many years in public education, I can honestly say that I am not thinned-skinned.  As a school teacher, some of my students called me names, wished I died and went to hell, told me to do things that were physically impossible, and other similar things.  My response to the names, insults, profanity, etc., was that I dealt with it at the time, and moved on. 

Unfortunately, our Governor-elect John Kasich has continued to let the campaign words, commercials, and accusations fester, and he doesn't seem able or willing to  forget.  Things that were said about Kasich were based on his voting record in the state legislature and in the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as his public speeches.


Cleveland.com:

Republican John Kasich, who narrowly defeated embattled Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland on Nov. 2, is still angry about the negative campaign the governor and his supporters employed trying to secure a second term.


In nearly every interview and speech following his victory, Kasich has raised the issue, complaining that he had to beat back an unprecedented effort to destroy his good name. 

During one event with reporters, he even called on teacher unions that backed Strickland to place full-page newspaper ads in Ohio papers apologizing to him......


Even though Kasich continues to wait for those full page apologies from teachers (for what, I don't know), he is still waiting.  He may call for a fiscal emergency, freeze wages, layoff teachers, or do whatever wants to run schools like a business, but I don't think he'll get an apology from teachers unions.  When Kasich cuts aid to education and sticks his fingers in the workings of teaching, he'll will damage students and their future, as well as his reputation.