Sunday, August 03, 2008

Stivers Is Disrespectful Toward Women

We have all heard the story about Republican Steve Stivers and his remarks when the Mercy High School State Champion Girls' Volleyball team visited the Ohio General Assembly. (If you don't recall what he said, do a Google search of the phrase----- Steve Stivers girls volleyball team ---http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=steve+stivers+girls+volleyball+team&btnG=Search). It makes Stivers sound like someone I'd not like to have in my home or near my daughters.

Stivers, a candidate for Congress and a former corporate bank lobbyist, has said some very nasty things about Mary Jo Kilroy, Democratic candidate for the 15th congressional district. Here is what Stivers had to say about Kilroy (iStockanalyst):

As he savored a cheeseburger with everything, state Sen. Steve Stivers was asked, "What is Mary Jo Kilroy's Achilles' heel?"

He didn't swallow the answer: "Have you ever met her?"

And then, "Voters want to vote for someone they like..."

Hey, Steve---Voters must like Kilroy a lot. They've voted for her in four elections and in greater numbers than you've received.

We've met Mary Jo Kilroy. My husband and I found her to be an intelligent, knowledgeable, and interested in the lives and struggles of the people of central Ohio. I would invite Mary Jo into my home, let her meet my daughters, my family, and my neighbors. I am going to use one of my most valuable rights that I have---the right to vote----and use it to vote for Kilroy for Congress.

Stivers has been hanging around too many other lobbyists, bankers, and the well-to-do. He apparently doesn't realize that this recession that George W. Bush has provided has hurt regular Americans. Stivers might not meet the out of work men and women because they don't hang out at those mega-fundraisers that his banking friends and Grover Norquist throw for him.

I'll be voting for Kilroy for Congress because I know she'll represent me, not a bank or corporation.