Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Here and Now

* Looks like we won't be getting the AT&T White Pages delivered. NBC4i:

AT&T will no longer automatically deliver white page directories in the Central Ohio area.

It began delivering its Yellow Pages Tuesday, and a flier inside the phone book explains how customers can order white pages....

I'm surprised they still print them. The Yellow Pages sometimes get thrown away as soon as they are delivered. In an effort to save money and printing costs, the printing is so small you almost need a microscope to read the names and numbers. If I'm looking for someone or a service, I use the internet or references from my neighbors.

* Have Republicans put forth their own plan for fixing health care in this country? I'm not sure but I think that the Republican "plan" is nonexistent. The only "plan" I've heard is GOP propaganda and criticism of President Obama's plan.

* A new Marist poll is out and published in the NY Daily News:

If the 2012 presidential election were held today, and Palin was the GOP candidate, she’d get wiped out by President Obama, a new Marist poll showed Tuesday....

....Whites favored Obama 50% to 40%, African-Americans by 99% to 1%, and Latinos 62% to 27%.

The only region where Palin held Obama under 50% was the South -- where Obama had 49% to 38% margin.

The South is also the only region that has a high number of "birthers."

There are rumors that indicate that former GOP Senator and extreme right wing nut job, Rick Santorum, might make a Presidential run. (Stop laughing.) Even Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann might consider running for President, if she gets a message from God.

Minnesota Post:

Is Michele Bachmann considering running for president? At the end of a long profile that can perhaps best be described as a gooshy love letter to the congresswoman, Drew Zahn from WorldNetDaily.com asked her outright. Bachmann's answer: "If I felt that's what the Lord was calling me to do, I would do it," she answered. "When I have sensed that the Lord is calling me to do something, I've said yes to it. But I will not seek a higher office if God is not calling me to do it. That's really my standard." Perhaps feeling that she hadn't been clear enough, she continued: "If I am called to serve in that realm, I would serve, but if I am not called, I wouldn't do it."

Does she have a direct line to God?

***** Last night on MSNBC, Rachel Maddow talked about a recent article in World Magazine which seems to question those self-described "elite Christians" who live on C Street. Those "elite Christians" include Republican lawmakers who appear to believe that they are above other Christians and do not need to subscribe to the same standards as other Christians. Now some Christian leaders are questioning the funding and ties of the Republican lawmakers who use the C Street townhouse as their base. It is a very interesting read.